Recently I got invited to a group warning people about Destiny's cockroach situation. After rejecting the invitation to the group, I saw it linked on people's status updates and posted as items to be shared. Yikes! Destiny won't be too happy about that. But I guess that's what happens when you have a bad customer experience. Especially since our world is so interconnected.
I once heard from a customer-service workshop that when you have good customer service, it's not often noted or brought up. But when you have one bad customer experience, it results in at least 10 others knowing about it. 10 incidents of poor customer service could result to 100 people knowing about it. And I guess in this instance, one incident leads to countless thousands of people knowing through facebook. It's crazy!
Not only is it a lesson on customer service, but it is a lesson on the power of reputation and word of mouth. I wonder how many students come to TC and have a bad experience, and tell others, and countless others end up not attending because of it. I wonder how many have heard testimonies of Christians, but then see that their lives don't reflect it and as a result do not hold Christianity as something credible to believe in.
This is a reminder that as captains and as volunteers at TC, you play a huge part in shaping the participant's experience. Huge. You could make or break someone's outlook on Jesus.
Let's make sure we don't let any cockroach experiences into TC! Only good feedback =)
*rebecca
- - - - - - - - - -
Just as a disclaimer, even though it is all over the web, I'm skeptical as to how bad the customer experience truly was or if the people who publicized it exaggerated even a bit in order to make more 'noise'. I am making an assumption that there was, in fact, a bad customer experience as I post this response.
The perspective I want to focus on in this case is that of the waitress. In the posted story, it is clear that she doesn't understand the severity of the problem at hand. After being told there are cockroaches in the drink, she initially offers them a 13% discount and, even after the health risks of eating cockroaches are explained, she dismissively tells the customers that if they go to the hospital, destiny will cover their health bill. The root cause of this issue is probably the poor cleanliness of the kitchen but rather than admitting that and responsibly investigating the issue, the waitress attempts to sweep it under the rug by offering inadequate solutions to the symptom.
I remember several instances when I've had to lead worship or share at a big event where I've gone in very nervous and anxious. Moments before going on stage, my heart is racing and I feel like so many thoughts are going through my head all at once. Many times, rather than taking time to earnestly come before God in HUMILITY, I quickly try to shrug it off and hold it together.
I believe we are all BROKEN but rather than honestly taking a look at ourselves to better understand why, we often hurriedly think of a quick fix and move forward as long as our problems appear 'manageable'. God is asking each of us to allow Him to expose what is ugly so we can name it, take responsibility and fully deal with it rather than to sweep it under the rug and get burned for it later.
*sam
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment